The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE) invites applications and nominations of persons to serve as its Executive Director. We welcome applications from candidates with a variety of backgrounds, including scholars, teachers, professionals, and non-profit administrators. Successful candidates will have a demonstrated interest in ethics, an aptitude for non-profit administration, a broad intellectual curiosity, and enthusiasm for convening scholars and practitioners across many fields of practical and professional ethics.
The Executive Director’s primary responsibilities will be to the association, but will also will also provide a limited amount of service to DePauw University. Depending on the candidates relevant academic and/or professional background duties to DePauw may vary. Someone with an academic background might contribute by teaching 1-2 courses annually. Someone with a more professional background might teach 1-2 skills oriented courses as a professor of practice, or contribute to the co-curricular life at DePauw University by conducting a series of workshops. In the event that the Executive Director teaches 1-2 courses, the teaching appointment will be regarded as non-tenure track.
As part of the Association’s arrangement with DePauw University, the Executive Director will be eligible for all DePauw University employee benefits. This is a non-tenure-track position and salary will be commensurate with experience. The Association’s offices are located at the Prindle Institute for Ethics, and the Executive Director will report to the Association’s Executive Board. The person in this position will also report to the Director of the Prindle Institute for ethics, particularly with respect to those items relevant to their service to DePauw University.
Application materials should include a letter of application, describing the applicant’s interests, background, and administrative experience/aptitude; a curriculum vitae or resume; and three references. Review of applications will begin January 26, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants should be prepared to assume the directorship on or before July 1, 2018.
The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE) is a comprehensive, international professional association whose members engage in scholarship, education, and practice in practical and professional ethics (http://appe-ethics.org/). Through its individual and institutional members, APPE supports and trains the next generation of faculty and professionals, works to improve ethical conduct in the workplace, and to advance public dialogue in ethics and values. APPE is incorporated as a 501(c)(3) in the state of Indiana and is housed at DePauw University, at The Janet Prindle Institute for Ethics.
About The Janet Prindle Institute for Ethics
The Janet Prindle Institute for Ethics is a comprehensive, national ethics institute that fosters ethics education, outreach, and dialogue. It cultivates rigorous inquiry and probing discourse focused on the pivotal and inescapable ethical issues of the day (https://www.depauw.edu/prindle/).
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Planning and running an annual meeting, including a focus to increase participation in annual meeting and increase sponsorship revenue for the annual meeting
• Coordinating and supporting Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl (IEB) activities
• Development and maintenance of membership benefits
• Recruitment and retention of a dues-paying members
• Applying for grants, developing a capital campaign and conducting an annual fund raising campaign
• Developing new revenue streams independently and/or in conjunction with Prindle Institute for Ethics
• Producing content for the Association’s newsletter, website, electronic communications
• Representing the Association to The Prindle Institute, DePauw University, and other constituencies
• Hiring, supervising, and evaluating office staff of 1 full time and 2 part time employees
• Budget projections and management of Association financial affairs
• Ensuring that APPE fulfills all of its legal obligations with respect to maintaining its 501c3 status
● Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
● Analytical Skills – Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
● Autonomy – Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
● Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
● Communication, Written – Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
● Detail Oriented – Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
● Problem Solving – Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
● Project Management – Ability to organize and direct a project to completion.Relationship Building – Ability to work effectively with individuals with different backgrounds and experiences.
• Time Management – Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
• Flexible – Ability and willingness to quickly shift focus between projects when the need arises.
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to track expenditures and maintain and monitor detailed records of budget activities
• Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously, to plan, prioritize and organize wisely, and to pay careful attention to detail
• Must be flexible and highly motivated
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: College degree, with a preference for an advanced degree or relevant professional experience
Experience: Demonstrated experience or interest in practical and professional ethics, aptitude or experience in program and financial management
Computer Skills: Proficient computer skills to perform tasks such as word processing, spreadsheets, budget tracking, web site searches and maintenance, and e-mail correspondence
To apply, please fill out the form below. Application review will begin on January 26 and will continue until the position is filled.