APPE Ethics Centers are changing the world—locally at home institutions, regionally in the metropolitan areas they serve, and professionally throughout the world. Since the founding of APPE more than 20 years ago, the Ethics Center Directors in the United States and Canada have provided active and coordinated leadership within the Association.
Today, with more than 100 ethics centers represented among its institutional members, APPE is the premier, professional organization focused on advancing ethics education, research and practice across all subject disciplines.
Resources for Centers
The Association provides a number of resources for ethics centers and their directors.
- Each year the Association publishes Profiles in Ethics, free to all Center Members, which is a guide to member centers and provides a quick overview of each center’s mission and focus. The APPE Profiles in Ethics is going to an online digital format which will be available for Members on a password protected page. Previous editions are in print and available for cost through the APPE Office.
- APPE holds an Ethics Center Colloquium each year as part of its Annual Meeting. Each year, the Colloquium is a much anticipated and prominent resource for APPE Ethics Centers. Please click here, for a list of previous Ethics Center Colloquium Topics.
- The Association publishes Monographs of Proceedings from the Ethics Center Colloquium. These Monographs are free to Institutional and Center Members and available to others at cost. Please see the, Ethics Center Monographs page for additional information.
- Ethics Center Director’s Forum: the Association has created a forum especially for Ethics Centers. This forum, restricted to current Ethics Center Institutional Members, is intended to provide an opportunity for Ethics Center directors to exchange ideas and information of common concern. Access to the Forum is restricted to our current Ethics Center Institutional Members in order to provide an environment in which participants have a clear idea of the audience and in order for participants to feel more comfortable sharing experience regarding sometimes sensitive issues such as project ideas, grant opportunities, personnel, and financial issues. If you are an Ethics Center Director who would like more information about joining the Association’s Forum and are a current member please contact the APPE office for more information. If you are not currently a member of the Association and would like to become a member and join the forum, please refer to the APPE Membership Page.
- For university ethics center undergoing a university review, the Association can suggest experienced center directors to serve as the outside member of the review. For ethics center directors who wish to do an internal review of their center, the Association is available to consult and assemble a review team of experienced center directors for a center visit. The Association is also developing a program to provide center directors with coaching on starting or developing a center. Contact Stuart Yoak, the APPE Executive Director, for further details or discussion of any of these services at: 812-855-6450 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a current list of Ethics Center Members, please see the APPE Member Institutions Page.
Profiles in Ethics – Each year the Association publishes Profiles in Ethics, free to all Center Members, which is a guide to member centers and provides a quick overview of each center’s mission and focus.
Ethics Center Colloquium – APPE holds an Ethics Center Colloquium each year as part of its Annual Meeting. Please click the link for more information regarding the upcoming Colloquium at the 2018 APPE Annual Meeting.
Ethics Center Colloquium Monograph Series – The Association publishes Monographs of proceedings from the Ethics Center Colloquium. The Monographs are free to Center Members and available to others at cost.
Other APPE Publications – Please see our Publications and Journals page for additional publications of interest.